Monday, December 24, 2012


I just realized I finished the floor over a month ago now. It is essentially de-co-padged maps with many many layers of water based floor grade poly on top. I spent more than a couple weeks getting a desirable thickness, but it is ever so fun.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Propane and Wall

We had an open house here last night (for the house and a going away party for someone else). I finished several things off just in time. Both the heater and cooktop are now hooked up and ready to go. The wall has tongue and groove. The sink is in place, but still needs plumbing. The trash can drawer slides out smoothly. Lots of people just thought my sawdust composting toilet plan is weird.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Some stuff done...

So since the last post some things have been finished, but many others are only half done.
Ladder- done and installed
Kitchen Cabinet under the counter- done, but needs sanding and painting.
Propane- plumbed the black pipe underneath and up through the floor. We are still waiting for some hoses/fittings/regulators to come in the mail next week.
Heater- now fastened to the wall
Propane tanks- In place and waiting to go
Shelf Wall between the bathroom and living area- built and sanded. Needs paint and tongue and groove pine on the living area side. There are clear sliding doors to the shelves on the bathroom side.

Next up
Finish Pocket Door
Plan remaining built-ins

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Exterior Paint

The exterior painting is done. Drew and I disagree on whether the vertical boards on the corners of the house should be blue. Since I was the one painting, they are white. The door has been the bane of my existence, but is partially primered. Eventually, it will be a medium teal color.

Pocket Door

The pocket door between the main area and the bathroom is made out of leftover t&g pine. The side you can't see looks exactly like the walls. Some oak still needs to be added around the circumference for trim. Dad did a nice job of recessing the track in the ceiling.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some finishing touches done

We got the 24" ceiling fan up and having the extra air movement is great. Especially since we started sleeping up in the loft where there is a little more room. Juno loves to come up and take naps, but Lucy will only come up if you stay too.

Worm Bin

So I got this crazy idea that I should have a built in composting worm bin. So I went to my local cash and carry and picked up a couple serving trays. I like the tray system the best because they have the worms sort themselves out for you. I guess we will see. If it doesn't work, it was a fun idea and I made it out of left over tongue and groove pine scraps.


So to buy one of those fancy ladders that roll in libraries it costs something like $800. Too much. $300 would be too much. So I designed a ladder after watching a 3 part YouTube series of a carpenter building a loft ladder in Ellensburg. The rails are made from posts reclaimed from under my parents house. The steps are made from a mystery hard wood that Michael Manant gave my dad a while back. The notched in the rails for the steps were routered out with a custom jig that I made. The whole thing got screwed and glued together. I have two of the four coats of urethane on it and we are waiting to attach the metal hooks until after the floor is done do that we get just the right height. The ladder will hook on to the railing bolted on to the edge of the loft. Drew's grandpa down in Toledo, WA welds frame rails on big trucks. He did an amazing job of taking my drawings and turning them into the pipe with mounting brackets attached.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tongue and Groove Pine

It still needs trim and the ceiling under the loft isn't done, but it is fantastic! The pine was purchased from Arrow lumber at $.53/linear foot with 5" of coverage. It is 3/4" thick, but as these are the true dimensions, it is actually called 1"x6". Tomorrow I am going to start white washing it and then finishing touches can be installed!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Electrical Tested and Insulation Finished

The lights all work and the switches do what they are supposed to. Course we realized that we want more light. Long story short: I returned all the 3" LED recessed lights in exchange for 4" sized ones ($10 cheaper a piece) that are more than twice as bright. Go figure. Then I spent the beginning of this week finishing the insulation. Tomorrow I'm going to paint a little of the exterior and buy tongue and groove pine for the walls.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Electrical Diagrams

I know that this is not how electricians draw out their plans, but these should work as handy references.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Super Secret Screen Rack

This is one of those little details that people wish they had built into their home. Inside the floor if the loft there is a place for window screens to be store when you don't want them.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012


I've been meaning to get around to sealing off the bottom of the trailer not already covered by the treated decking of the original car trailer. This afternoon it didn't rain and I took care of it. There is a layer of tar paper above the aluminum flashing to keep it from reacting to the pressure treated wood in a bad way.