Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Super Secret Screen Rack

This is one of those little details that people wish they had built into their home. Inside the floor if the loft there is a place for window screens to be store when you don't want them.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012


I've been meaning to get around to sealing off the bottom of the trailer not already covered by the treated decking of the original car trailer. This afternoon it didn't rain and I took care of it. There is a layer of tar paper above the aluminum flashing to keep it from reacting to the pressure treated wood in a bad way.


So we have officially started working on the electrical. All of the boxes for switches, outlets, fans, and whatever else we needed are installed. We have a small AC breaker box with 6 - 15 amp circuits and 1 - 20 amp circuit. Additionally, we ordered a DC converter box with 4 fuses from Apalachee RV. The lighting, two car outlets, heater fan, and car stereo with 4 car speakers are all on the DC system. Also, after much persuasion from my father we are installing a small 24" ceiling fan with a light.

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Door

But it is not just a door. Thanks to my dad and his ability to turn "modify" into a swear word it opens and shuts so smoothly. The 24" door was found at a thrift store as part of a French door set for $25. After finding a door jamb in the garage going to waste, we set to work. We had no idea that meant converting the jamb for a thinner door and converting it from an opening in door to an opening out door. We initially had the clearances between the door and the jamb too close too... you get the picture. But isn't it pretty now? Soon the varnish will get stripped and then painted a tbd color.

Range Hood Vent

Installed! This was the last hole to put in the house and it is complete. This means that I can caulk and paint. Yay!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cabinet Knobs Finished

First I chopped lots of 1/2" sections of dowel. Once sanded, I drilled holes of the back side. Then they got painted. After finally scrapping all of the magnets off the back sides of the blown glass, they were reglued with what looked like a serious epoxy.

Bathroom Fan

Today I finished installing the bathroom fan and its respective wall cap. It wasn't too complicated, but is always a bit of a bear cutting semi-precise cuts in just the siding. This fan was the cheapest you can buy and one of the few available with 3" ducting. The fan is installed in the ceiling above the toilet and the vent goes out the back of the house.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Heater Exhaust Cap

In between downpours I managed to cut the hole for the heater intake/exhaust vent and to install the cap that comes with the heater. Ideally, it would be installed on a horizontal surface, but we should get satisfactory results out of this. Many people seem to be concerned about the proximity to the window. However, since the stove has to be hand lit every time we don't have to deal with a constant tiny stream of fumes sneaking in an open window.
I also discovered that the venting doesn't corner very quickly. This means the stove will need to be screwed to a box built several inches out the wall.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

First Layer of Insulation Complete

The first layer was 2"of rigid styrofoam. It took 14 a 4' x 8' sheets of the stuff to piece it all together. Just think, in a little while I get to do it all over again with 1 1/2" after the electrical is done. Then I'll also need to fill in the gaps with spray in foam.

So now I'm trying to put the remaining holes in the walls for venting and such.