Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ladder

So to buy one of those fancy ladders that roll in libraries it costs something like $800. Too much. $300 would be too much. So I designed a ladder after watching a 3 part YouTube series of a carpenter building a loft ladder in Ellensburg. The rails are made from posts reclaimed from under my parents house. The steps are made from a mystery hard wood that Michael Manant gave my dad a while back. The notched in the rails for the steps were routered out with a custom jig that I made. The whole thing got screwed and glued together. I have two of the four coats of urethane on it and we are waiting to attach the metal hooks until after the floor is done do that we get just the right height. The ladder will hook on to the railing bolted on to the edge of the loft. Drew's grandpa down in Toledo, WA welds frame rails on big trucks. He did an amazing job of taking my drawings and turning them into the pipe with mounting brackets attached.

No comments: